Supporting Maine’s entrepreneurs and small businesses
|Business Advising||What we can help with||Data & Information||Webinars & eCourses||Special Programs|
Maine SBDC provides business advising to help entrepreneurs in the creation, growth, and success of their small businesses.
With over 40 years of experience, the SBDC strives to provide a welcoming and supportive experience. Our goal is to “teach you to fish”, helping you more confidently navigate the challenges (and rewards) of business ownership.
All advice is personalized to you and your business. All information you share is completely confidential. All services are provided at no cost through partnerships with the federal and state governments.
Maine SBDC business advisors are qualified professionals who are passionate about entrepreneurship. They serve as your cheerleader and/or sounding board as you make critical decisions that impact the future of your businesses (and personal life!).
How can we help you more confidently overcome your challenges and/or accomplish your goals? See our client success stories here…
- New Businesses – Starting a business can be a daunting task. The SBDC is committed to helping you start a business that will last. From early-stage feasibility testing and business plan development right up until the opening day, our business advisors are here to assist you in making your business startup as smooth as possible so you are poised for success. Request Advising or check out our online resources for New Businesses.
- Business Growth – Ready to grow your business? Growing fast and need help? We can help you create and implement growth plans…and find the funding to support these projects. Whether you are planning for the future or in the midst of it, we can help you confidently navigate the next steps that ensure the future of your business. Request Advising.
- Buying and Selling Your Business – Ready to exit your business? Considering purchasing a business? We can help guide you through the process. Our advisors can help you understand the value of the business, provide tips and best practices in preparing for sale, and help guide you through a successful transition. Request advising.
- Financial Analysis – We know that you did start your business to analyze the numbers. That’s why our business advisors are experts in financial analysis. For better or worse, your financials can tell you a lot about the health of your business. They can guide decision-making and help identify issues that might stand in the way of growth and success. Request advising.
- Funding – Need funding to start or grow your business? Our business advisors can help you identify funding sources for your project. They can also help you prepare a business plan that is sure to impress your lender and help you secure the funds you need. Request advising.
- Marketing – Marketing is critical to the success of your business. It can also be very time-consuming and potentially expensive. Our business advisors can help you understand your customer, identify affordable marketing tactics to reach them, and analyze the success of your efforts. Request Advising.
Working with the SBDC will give you access to an array of advanced tools and information that can help guide your planning and decision-making. These services are provided at no cost to clients and include:
- Market Research Reports – Business advisors can provide you with detailed reports on your industry and market utilizing advanced tools like VerticalIQ and SBDCnet.
- Financial Benchmarking – Business advisors can provide you with detailed financial reports that can help you optimize your operations through the use of ProfitCents, a leading benchmarking tool.
Just looking to learn more before you jump in? Our webinars are provided at no cost on an array of topics that help you start, run and grow your small business. Check the schedule and line up of live and ondemand seminars.
Maine SBDC has partnerships with various organizations to help entrepreneurs in various areas.
- Working with the Department of Labor’s Division of Vocational Rehabilitation, Maine SBDC helps provide guidance to entrepreneurs and business owners who have physical, mental, and emotional disabilities.
- Working with the Maine Department of Economic & Community Development’s CDBG (Community Development Block Grant), Maine SBDC provides guidance to help low-to-medium-income entrepreneurs start and grow their businesses.
- Working with the Maine Technology Institute, Maine SBDC provides guidance to entrepreneurs to access loans and grants for their new ideas, products and methods.